Serverless computing is a type of architecture in which a user does not bother about executing the coding part. Hence this method provides a backed service to the users to write code and also deploy it. So the user does not have to worry about how the infrastructure is.
Ultimately this results in the usage of backend services through a serverless vendor. And the user does not have to pay for the physical servers, bandwidth amount, and several storage services to execute his/her programs.
In the early times, a person who wants to build an application or software had to physically acquire the hardware components to run a server. That user knows how to build software or an application but cannot afford the number of resources required to deploy his/her project.
But now cloud technology has provided a ton of features including this serverless computing. So using serverless computing, now any user can deploy their applications, projects, software, websites, startups easily on the cloud. Also with the help of serverless computing, the reach of customers has increased a lot!
What Is Serverless?
You have heard many people talking about different cloud services such as Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, etc. that run on serverless technology. But is that mean we don’t require a server for the deployment of the project? Let’s see what is serverless and how it works.
The main thing is the service providers run the server part and also manage it. That takes a huge load from us of managing different servers remotely. For example, the service provided by Google Cloud has the inbuilt feature of serverless.
Hence it indicates all the work that does that in the server part manages by the Google Cloud. Similarly, if the service is provided by Amazon, such as you buy the subscription of amazon AWS. Then you do not have to worry about the server part programming and its storage management because it is all done by Amazon AWS.
All you have to do is deploy your project, your software code, or your blueprint on these platforms and you are good to go.
Difference Between The Traditional Method And Serverless Computing
Let’s look at how people used to deploy their projects in previous times. Suppose a user has built a project using python and Django frameworks. Or the user has built an application using flutter. He/she wants to upload this project on the cloud so that all people can use this service.
For that, the user has no other choice but to deploy the project using VPS-based deployment. In that, the user has to buy his server and storage and manually embed the project to the server. This will surely bring more and more errors and is hard to handle even for an experienced person.
Surely this is more time-consuming and not that effective because sometimes it is hard to deploy a project than building the whole software.
But now things are changed. Nowadays, the user has another option- serverless deployment. All the thing that a user wants to do is to deploy the project on any of his/her preferred cloud service environments. And cloud provider does all the server parts.
That is way much simpler and more effective. The user will easily deploy the python based application without bothering the server part and overall helps all the people who use it.
You will get all logs in which all information about your activity is mentioned. RAM and storage information is also crucial at this moment.
The Myth Buster
There is this common myth in many people who are thinking if the server is serverless? But this is a myth. Logically without servers, the whole cloud environment demolishes. Servers are the backbone of any cloud service, its management, and its development.
This can be understood by an example in which a user uploads his photo in google drive. In this process, the service provider is Google and it uses the servers to manage this task. First, the server takes the Image, its address, and location of where to be stored in the drive that is uploaded by the user.
Next, the server assigns the received image to google’s database storage which is remotely situated at some storage facility center of google. This conducts by the cloud and servers are the one who handles it.
Not only this but servers handles all managing part such as RAM allocation, storage, virtual machines, connecting different servers, admin management, user information, project deployment, continuous project maintenance, and many more. Hence serverless does not mean serverless but it means we do not have to take care of servers for our project.
Also Read: Basics Of Data Science
Benefits of Serverless computing
There are a ton of benefits that serverless computing provides us. Having this type of technology in our era is a great thing. Here are some benefits mentioned below that show our daily life and how serverless computing makes it more simple and effective.
- Time Management: Time is crucial in any of the startups and using serverless computing we save a lot of time! Just develop your software and deploy on service. It takes hardly a good day to deploy and start the service.
- Reach Of Your Project: Today, nearly all the developers use cloud services and hence all are familier with serverless technology. Hence a project that is deployed on famous platforms like microsoft, amazon or google has more reach than any other traditional method deployments.
- Resource Management: You do not have to take care about how much RAM or how much storage you need to deploy. Remotely you have less resource available on your computer to run your project. But using serverless computing you will virtually get all the resources you need.
- Load Management: It may happens that sometimes you will get a lot of traffic on your deployed website. Then in traditional method, you need to buy more and more resources for preventing your website from going down. But using serverless computing, you will never face such a problem.
- Automatic Scale-Up/ Scale-Down: You can manage your resouce as you want in cloud services. Suppose you are getting traffic to your website at specific time such as festivals. Then you can scale up resources accordingly.
- Cost Efficient: Altough you must have to pay some amount in order to use the serverless cloud services. But due to their flexibility you can manage your resources accordingly. Hence overall you can save money rather than one time investment to your deployment.
Disadvantages Of Serverless Computing
- Accessibility:: Here the service you are using is serverless computing. And all the servers manages by the cloud providers, not by you. Hence sometimes you cannot access all the features of server.
- Accidental Overload: For example if your website suddenly get a hype in users then your cloud. Provider will automatically scale up the resources and it charges more. Traditionally a VPS server will go down in such case but here things are different.
- Vulnerability: The colud servers can also ban some of the features of your project. Like in case of spam it can block feature with respect to servers not us.
- Lack of Operationala Tools: One of the example of this is the logs provided by the serverless cloud services in which you will not get all information like personal servers.
Despite all these advantages, serverless computing is still a better option for deploying projects in the cloud. Its easy, efficient and has great reach to make your project known in the market.
Pingback: What Is Data Loss Рrevention (DLР)? - DsForTech
Pingback: Best games to play on Xbox cloud - CloudForTech
Pingback: Will the big cloud go back to core infrastructure services? - CloudForTech