Nowadays, many organizations need cloud computing services to make their business online. They can choose a different cloud deployment model according to their need. It is not clear that which cloud deployment model any organization should choose but they can consider some factors about their business and choose a cloud deployment model.
There are 5 different types of cloud deployment models according to their performance, privacy, scalability, and maintenance cost. It defines the nature of the cloud computing service environment. Every cloud computing model contains the different types of cloud services that are given below.
In any cloud deployment model, you can use or build any app on any cloud service. To know more about cloud computing services read “Basics of the cloud computing article“.
Here is the list of the 4 different cloud deployment models.
- Public cloud
- Private cloud
- Hybrid cloud
- Community cloud
Difference between every cloud deployment model
Here, we have explained the detailed difference between cloud computing modes in the below table.
|Public cloud||private cloud||hybrid cloud||community cloud|
|The public cloud is easy to set up.||The private cloud is hard to set up as it requires the technical team to set up it.||A hybrid cloud is hard to set up as we have to combine public and private cloud deployment models.||The Community Cloud is also easy to set up.|
|The provider can control all the data.||You only have access to control the data, and you can give access to others.||You can control all the data with the right setup.||If every community members collaborate, you can get very high access to the data.|
|The public cloud is very easy to use.||Private cloud is complex to use and requires a technical team.||If the setup of the hybrid cloud is done properly, it becomes very easy to use.||Hybrid cloud is easy to use if every member of the community collaborates and tries to solve the problem.|
|It is less expensive.||Public cloud is very expensive as you own the whole cloud system.||It is more expensive than public cloud and less expensive than private cloud.||Every community can share the cost and make it less expensive.|
|The public cloud provides very low security.||The private cloud provides very high security. To store sensitive data, you can use it.||The hybrid cloud provides very high security, as you have the option to put important data into the private cloud.||It provides high security if every community defines the security policy.|
|There is limited scalability for the public cloud.||There is very high scalability, as you own the whole system.||High scalability as it includes the private cloud.||There is a fixed limit of capacity to scale the system.|
|Maybe you have to face failure and outages.||If you have the proper team to handle the private cloud, you can make your system highly reliable.||You can make the system very reliable, If you have a proper team.||Maybe you have to face failure and outages.|
|There is no need for any hardware.||In-house hardware is needed to set up it.||In-house hardware is needed to set up it.||No need for hardware.|
|The cloud service providers don’t prove the flexibility to set up.||Highly flexible to set up.||Highly flexible to set up.||Less flexibility to set up cloud services.|
Also read:- Best cloud gaming services.
Different types of the cloud deployment models
The cloud service providers have lots of servers and data centers to store their client’s data. The cloud deployment models have been divided into 5 types according to data access control, server location, ownership, scalability, and hardware support needed for every model.
Let’s discuss every cloud deployment model one by one.
As the name suggests, it is commonly used and accessible by the public. When you don’t need to store sensitive data in the data centers, you can choose the public cloud for your business.
The cloud service provides manages the servers and data centers so that there can be security issues for your private data. Most developers are using the public cloud for the development and test web applications and other software projects.
The Amazon EC2, Microsoft Azure, IBM cloud service, Google APP engine, and salesforce is the best example of public cloud service providers. You don’t need much investment to use the public cloud as it provides the option of pay-as-you-use.
Advantages of the public cloud
- Low Investment: The customer doesn’t need to pay any set up cost for the public cloud environment. They need to only pay for the resources they are using.
- No hardware installation: You don’t need to install hardware instruments at your home while using the public cloud.
- No maintenance: You don’t require maintenance team as cloud service provider maintains the all hardware and servers.
- Scalablity: You can demand the resources according to your need from the cloud service providers.
Disadvantages of public cloud
- Data access control: Your cloud service provider can access and control the data.
- Security and privacy: You can’t add sensetive data to the public cloud server as it is accessible publicly.
- Reliability: You can face sudden outages and system failure.
- Limited resources: You will not get control over the all resources.
It is also known as the corporate or internal deployment model. The private cloud model is exactly the opposite of the public cloud model. Rather than being owned by the public, it is owned by a specific company or organization.
The private cloud server is hosted by third-party cloud service providers, and organizations can decide where to put the hardware system. Most organizations choose to put data centers at the organization’s location. The private cloud is controlled by the technical team of the organization.
- Security and privacy: As it is used by only single organization, it is very secure.
- Data control: You can provide access to authorize the data to anyone, and only authorized one can access the data. Also, it allows you to add access to limited data.
- Better control: The organization owns the whole system. So, they can only controll all the data, application, and all other IT resources.
- Legacy System: The private cloud deployemnt model allows to host some legacy application which is not supported by the public cloud.
Disadvantages of the private cloud
- Cost: As you are buying the whole infrastructure for your organization, it has very high cost.
- Maintainance cost: The organization’s technical team is maintaining the private cloud, you have to pay for it also.
- Scalability: There is a limited scalability with the private cloud as you have to install new hardware.
Also read: What is cloud security?
As the name speaks, a hybrid cloud is the combination of one or more cloud deployment models such as private cloud, public cloud, community cloud, or VPC cloud. It provides a separate system to every model but uses the same hardware architecture.
A cloud service can wisely use the private cloud and public cloud at a single time with the hybrid cloud. A company uses the hybrid cloud, and stores sensitive data in the private cloud and commonly accessible data in the public cloud.
Advantages of the hybrid cloud
- Cost: The hybrid cloud allows to use the public cloud with private cloud. So, it is the cost-effective.
- Security and privacy: We can store the private data in the private cloud. Hence, it is fully safe.
- Full flexibility: The hybrid cloud provides you the full flexibility to control the data and web application.
Disadvantages of the hybrid cloud
- Complexity: It is hard to set up and needs proper technical team to set up.
- Use case: It is used only when any organiation has to store private and public data seprately.
The community cloud uses the public cloud architecture hosted by third-party cloud service providers. It’s not accessible publicly but it is accessible by a group of organizations. As a community cloud, also we can use the combination of all the above clouds.
There is some security policy, application types, and other policies defined by all organizations. Generally, it works as a public cloud but handles by multiple organizations. Here, an organization can decide that which data can be accessed by whose.
Advantages of community cloud
- Cost: As multiple organizations share the resources, it is less expensive.
- Security and privacy: There is a security policy for every organizations. So, it provides the better security.
Disadvantages of community cloud
- Common resources: Every organization has limited capacity to use the resoruces.
The users can choose the cloud deployment model by analyzing their requirements. You must give priority to data security and privacy. After that decide your budget and choose a cloud model according to that. Also, you should focus on scalability, flexibility, and data control.
Also read:- What are the cloud benefits for the business?